Trigger Tuned!!

The Benjamin Marauder air rifle can be tuned. You can adjust the trigger and the rifles velocities for different fill pressures.

Trigger Tuned!!

Postby The Busey » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:24 pm

I removed the "lawyer" spring last night, what a huge difference in the trigger. I just wanted to thank everyone for posting such usefull info. The trigger mod took about 15 minutes and was well worth it. The pull weight has gone from 4.5lbs with alittle creep to under 2 pounds. Feels like an old High Standards pistol trigger. It wasn't difficult at all. The hardest part was prying the cover plate off of the trigger pack. I bent the end of the spring straight so I could retain it and use it as a spacer.

I did notice alittle more creep after removing the spring. I adjusted everything to where I wanted it and oh boy :mrgreen: what a difference! It breaks like the proverbial glass rod. I moved the trigger position alittle more forward, then I adjusted the first and second stages (real easy to see how it all works with the cover plate removed). I now have a short first stage followed by a super light, crisp second stage.

After I got all the creep out I reduced the weight more by adjusting the pull weight screw. I found it easier to dial in alittle more weight with the weight screw, then do my stage and position adjustments. After I got everything perfect I dialed down the poundage to my liking. I didnt want to totally remove the first stage like ive heard others do on this forum. I will be using the rifle hunting and I dont want a accidental discharge if I drop or bump the gun in the woods. I tested it for safety by cocking it and banging the butt on the kitchen floor from about a foot high. The Mrod didnt fire when I did that so Im confident I wont have any safety issues.

I encourage anyone thinking about doing this mod to go ahead with it. Dont fear the trigger pack, it is a very simple design. The time and effort were well worth it. The internal trigger parts look like they have a anti-friction coating on them. They are a gold color, I didnt lube up the internals like I would have with my AR15. I left them dry which is what crossarms recommends anyway. Good luck and good shooting :D
The Busey

Re: Trigger Tuned!!

Postby mbrave » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:33 am

Have been a bit reluctant to mess with the trigger (and the spring), but your post is encouraging.

Can you describe how you manipulated the adjustments to reduce the second stage creep?

Thanks,
Mark
mbrave

Postby The Busey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:09 pm

I very carefully adjusted the set screw that is attached to the rear of the trigger. This will give the sear less bearing surface on the hammer release plate. The set screw in front of the rear screw is for the 1st stage slack. I like keeping the first stage just as a safety procaution while hunting otherwise I would have a super light super crisp singe stage. Just remeber every adjustment you make has an effect on the other adjustments.

I removed the "lawyer" spring and dialed in alittle more poundage so I could really feel the creep. A super light trigger will hide some of the creep so I started by adj. the poundage up by one full turn, then I adj.the rear trigger screw. When I say adj. I mean less than a quarter turn. I think I might of turned it maybe a eighth of a turn. Adjust it so the sear releases without pulling the trigger itself. If you dial in enough on that set screw the sear will release the hammer. When it releases just back it off just a smidge and you will have no creep what so ever. I then dialed down the poundage a full turn and a half. Drop the gun from about 6 inches from the floor onto the recoil pad to make sure it wont discharge. Good luck and dont be afraid to play with the adjustments, put a dot of blue loctite on the threads of the set screws when you are done and you'll be all set.

Good luck!
The Busey

Postby mbrave » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Awesome description. Thank you!

Later the same night... OMG!!! This is fantastic. By being able to see the trigger assembly I was able to move the trigger back further, get a nice long first stage where the spring still will reset the trigger if the first stage is released before pulling through the second stage, and set the second stage for an incredible no creep break.

Removing the spring was the right choice. I had previously lightened the pull weight to the point where only the "lawyer spring" was giving the tension. Now I can dial in the tension with the trigger weight spring.

Great mod.

Thanks!
Last edited by mbrave on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbrave

Postby The Busey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:09 am

Happy to hear you decided to do the mod mbrave. It like a whole new Mrod, it's amazing how a good trigger can make a rifle come alive. The .25 has always been fun and cheap to shoot. The trigger mod makes it that much more enjoyable.
The Busey

Postby haywyre » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:25 am

The Busey wrote:Happy to hear you decided to do the mod mbrave. It like a whole new Mrod, it's amazing how a good trigger can make a rifle come alive. The .25 has always been fun and cheap to shoot. The trigger mod makes it that much more enjoyable.

link on trigger mod? search brings back to this topic.
haywyre

Postby jslnsd » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:13 am

Same here... i'd like that info too please!
jslnsd

Postby JJJ » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 pm

I followed Jeff's description on the meandering blog. it was nice but even better was Bruno's trigger. It is much more adjustable! I'm finially catching up and getting ready to write a short review about it. It was the best $65 bucks I've spent on this rifle since I bought it. So much nicer for consistent trigger release!
JJ
JJJ

Postby mbrave » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Here is the link http://avveduti.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/marauder-project-lightening-the-trigger/.

If you click on the pictures a much larger version comes up. You also don't need to pry the plate off with a screw driver! Just work it off with your fingers after removing the hex screws.

Enjoy.
mbrave

Postby The Busey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 pm

I could not remove the plate with just my fingers. Using a small jewelers screw driver to pry the plate off wont hurt anything. There was no way in hell that plate was coming off with just my fingers.
The Busey

Next

Return to Marauder Tuning and Adjusting