Marauder advanced tune....

The Benjamin Marauder air rifle can be tuned. You can adjust the trigger and the rifles velocities for different fill pressures.

Marauder advanced tune....

Postby desertairgunhunter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:36 pm

Let me start by saying the Marauder is one fine american made rifle!! Kudo's to crosman for manning up and taking the plunge . I received #78 several weeks ago on doing the suggested tune procedure and repeating several times to eliminate operator error, I settled on the optimum adjustments to wring out all that was available. The best was in the low nines and even then of short duration before falling to high eight's. I've tuned numerous pcp's that I own and after a short pause decided to break #78 down for a look at the internal's. A quick assessment showed that crosman had done some good homework, But left the door wide open for the possibilities of some advanced tuning. Into the machine shop and #78 got a new spring wound for the hammer/striker, another end cap was made using a finer pitch thread for more precise adjustment to the preload screw, also incorporated a selection of booster pads for further hammer spring tensioning if needed. Onto the valve: everything was spot on to current pcp tuning only leaving some minor port smoothing to assist the already good design, Out came a set of carbide micro burrs to massage the exhaust port in the valve, polished and back together, Action reassembled to the stock. Now for testing, Filled #78 to 3000 psi grabbed a tin of 15.8 jsb's and out back to the chrony for a few shots. Started settings, Full out on the hammer back in four turns, air restrictor port was set at three and one half start, striker length set for maximum travel of the hammer. Cocking was only slightly stiffer than before at this setting. Shot no. 1 showed 983.6 at the chrony? something wrong with the chrony? Shot no.2 978.2 shot no.3 988.3 This went on for the next five and then, Shot no. nine 1013.6 !!! this stayed consistant for the next clip befor falling back to 980's I haven't had the time to do any further playing with hammer tensioner or airport adjustment, But I can say this my Marauder doesn't take a back seat to my rapid any more!!! Oh one more thing acurracy stayed the same, Looks like I'll be ordering another Marauder real soon!!! Just can't get enough of a good thing!!!!
desertairgunhunter

Re: Marauder advanced tune....

Postby sacshooter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:11 pm

desertairgunhunter wrote:Shot no. nine 1013.6 !!! this stayed consistant for the next clip befor falling back to 980's

Velocity: 1013.6ft/s
Pellet Weight: 15.8 grains

That is 36.053 ft-lbs. of Muzzle Energy :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm a big fan of the TalonAirGun.com Forum The stuff some of the guys do to the Talons and condors amaze me. It is cool to know that this rifle can be tinkered with and tuned as well.

Thanks for the post.

Roger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sacshooter aka Site Admin
Besides this forum I have many others. For a complete list of my other websites please visit http://www.AskRogerSeher.com Thanks for your Support
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sacshooter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doug T » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:27 am

Out of curiousity, and being new to this board and Marauder ownership, what do you think the M'rod is ultimately capable of in the way of max FPE for 1-3 shots? Pardon the naivety of my question, such is the way of a newbie, though...
Doug T

Postby sacshooter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Doug T wrote:Out of curiousity, and being new to this board and Marauder ownership, what do you think the M'rod is ultimately capable of in the way of max FPE for 1-3 shots? Pardon the naivety of my question, such is the way of a newbie, though...

Hi Doug, I don't know.

at first I wanted to leave it at factory settings, then my plan was to try to tune it down for a 2000 psi fill. My thought was to use the gun to fill the gap after my power hungry air rifles drained the air tanks down to 2500 psi. ( when I am no longer able to completely fill the other guns 20 2,800 psi) I was going to break out the marauder.

After reading your post a lite went on and I am now thinking: de tune the gun for 2000 psi, then write down the settings. Then crank it up! to a 3000 psi tune shoot with the other guns then de tune it if air runs low.

hopefully someone will chime in who has tried this, and post a shot string.

Roger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sacshooter aka Site Admin
Besides this forum I have many others. For a complete list of my other websites please visit http://www.AskRogerSeher.com Thanks for your Support
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sacshooter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby james509 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:57 am

Hello, You've got me interested in your advanced state of tune. I'm fairly new to PCPs but I've been enjoyed shooting pump ups for over 30 years and for the last couple of years springers. Recently bought a 22 cal Benjamin Discovery and I'm pretty impressed with it's power and accuracy. I've played with it and got it to 940 fps with Crosman Primiers. Havn't pulled the valve yet to work of the ports but I'm thinking about it. Last week I purchased a Marauder in 22 cal. I'm wanting to remove the valve to work it over. I have pretty good background with a flow bench and porting heads for motorcycles and this seems like a good project for a slow day at work. Did you have any problems getting the valve out and apart? I've looked at the parts blow up and it looks pretty straight forward but sounds like you would know if I'll run into any problems. While i'm here I'd like to say hi to everyone, I'm new the the fourm and this is my first post. I was pretty happy to find the Marauder air riffle site. Later, Larry
james509

Postby james509 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:03 pm

Well, I spent the afternoon working on increasing the power of my Mrod. Pulled the valve out and increased the size of the outlet abit and flared the hole inside of the assembally to create as much of a velocity stack as I could to funnel the air in. Increased the size of the transfer tube and the hole in the barrel. Also champhered the hole in the barrel towards the pellet. Put it all back together and seemed to hold air and didn't blow up so tought I'd give it a try. Everything was pretty much maxed out on the valve and spring. Shot several shots over 1000 fps with the highest being 1029 shooting Premiers at 14.3. I don't thing I hurt it any. Anyway I still have a lot of tuning to do and if anyone's interested I'll post some shot strings. Later, Larry
james509

Return to Marauder Tuning and Adjusting