Marauder Slow Air Leak

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Marauder Slow Air Leak

Postby hawkeye » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Just when I thought I had received a near perfect Marauder last week, something had to burst my bubble. I was losing air pressure very slowly everyday and to make a long story short, I found a slow leak at the male foster fitting threads. The rifle is a real performer so I figured I might be able to fix her up without sending it back to Crosman. With that said, I'm going to remove the male foster fitting and reseal the threads. Looks like Crosman used teflon tape when they assembled it. Does anybody know what king of thread sealant Crosman uses for this kind of fitting? It's a simple job but I want to use the right stuff.

Thanks,

Tom
hawkeye

Re: Marauder Slow Air Leak

Postby Teryx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Tom,
I don't think Crosman normally uses teflon tape on that thread seal. It's some sort of grey pipe thread sealer. I don't know what brand it is, but I can tell you that I've been using Gasolia PLS-2 for many years and it is a bomb proof thread sealer. Here is a link to the product info: http://www.gasoila.com/products/pipethreadsealants.html

teryx
Teryx

Postby DaveShooter » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Teryx wrote:Tom,
I don't think Crosman normally uses teflon tape on that thread seal. It's some sort of grey pipe thread sealer. I don't know what brand it is, but I can tell you that I've been using Gasolia PLS-2 for many years and it is a bomb proof thread sealer. Here is a link to the product info: http://www.gasoila.com/products/pipethreadsealants.html

teryx
Teryx,
That sounds and looks like some mighty fine stuff. thanks for the info!!! :D :D
DaveShooter

Postby hawkeye » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:22 pm

teryx

Thanks Teryx,

I ended up taking the whole air fill assembly out, cleaned the fittings, and put it back together with some thread compound simular to yours. The stuff I cleaned out of the foster fitting and the valve housing sure looked like teflon tape so I'm not sure what happened there. Anyway I pumped the gun up to 1000psi and it seemed to hold. Got it up to 2100 psi and started to see a "bubble" every 3-4 minutes. I decided to live with it until I can get a hold of Crosman and see what they will do. I'd prefer to send them the whole air fill assembly and get a new one because I'm not sure if the problem is the male Foster fitting or the valve housing. This is the second or third time I have heard of leaky Marauders. Crosman are you listening?? Hopefully I can convince Crosman to send me the air fill assembly instead of sending the whole gun back.The only good thing about this is that it's easily fixed
More to come,

Tom :x
hawkeye

Postby Teryx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:57 am

Tom,
It sounds a little fishy, like maybe that fitting has some history. :roll: No way to know. I'm not doubting what you said about the teflon tape, that's just not what was used on any of mine so it makes me wonder. I've also never had very good luck using teflon tape on high pressure fittings. I found the PLS-2 while working on a 4500psi hydraulic project. I tried all kinds of stuff. Pastes, special high pressure teflon tape, liquids,....they all leaked! The PLS-2 stopped the leaks dead. Since then I have used it on many tough sealing jobs and it has never let me down, It hardens to some extent in a day or two. It could also be that the fitting you have is just defective. PLS-2 is sticky and messy though! If you get a tube, use it very sparingly and clean off any excess with a rag or Qtip, or you will have a mess.

If they ask you to send the rifle back that would be crazy. The shipping cost would be more than just ordering a new fitting. Having built high pressure systems (hydraulic), I can sympathize with Crosman on this. The only way they can insure a zero leak rate is to pressurize each rfile and do a 24 hour leakdown test. That would slow their production to a crawl. How I handled it and achieved pretty close to 100% was by having very strict procedures for how the fittings were cleaned, coated with sealer and torqued. When you get to these high pressures, it takes almost nothing to produce a leak! I sympathize with you too though because leaks drive me nuts, no matter what is leaking. :)
Teryx
Teryx

Postby Supercharged86 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 pm

teryx

Thanks too D. for the info. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Supercharged86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:35 am

Tom, How'd you make out with Crosman? Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hawkeye » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:28 am

Supercharged86 wrote:Tom, How'd you make out with Crosman? Steve

Steve,

I fixed it myself...but what a trip. After I got the proper thread sealant, I torqued the foster fitting down and it held at 3000psi. But now for the bad stuff. I had removed the stock to work on the air leak and wouldn't you know it, it fell off my bench and it cracked one side near the ear where the breach assembly fits. It didn't crack all the way through so I figured a little glue, some clamps to hold it secure and I'll be back in shape. NOT. Despite my efforts, I could still see the stupid crack. So I got my files and sandpaper and started to fix my mess. Got it looking real good but now how do I match the factory finish with the bare wood I had now exposed?? I tried everything but it still looked like s@#t. So I stripped off the factory finish and basically refinished the stock. I probably shot my warranty all to hell by doing all this but I couldn't see sending the gun back to Crosman for a leak that I could fix myself. By the way, it looks pretty good now!! At least I'm shooting the rifle and getting her sighted in. So far so good for a change.

Tom
hawkeye

Postby Supercharged86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:41 am

Tom,

Boy oh Boy! When it rains it pours, huh? Sorry to hear about the stock, but at least she's holding air and shooting nice. Luckily when it fell the breech, bolt, shroud or something really important didn't break. Well, glad to see your up and running. Keep us up to date on things. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Teryx » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:59 am

Holy crap Tom! You really went down the rabbit hole of home repair! You should have just used bedliner on the sucker :mrgreen:

Teryx
Teryx

Next

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions