P-rod slow air leak

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

P-rod slow air leak

Postby ewarmour » Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 pm

I am the proud new owner of a Benjamin Marauder Pistol. I paired it with a 3x9 bug buster and I love this gun.

However it loses approximately 100psi per day in a climate controlled gun safe right next to my M-rod, which when I put in the safe at 2900psi, stays at 2900psi.

I've teflon taped (3-4 wraps) the stem of the pressure gauge so far.

I've used leak detector at the fill nipple for nothing.

What should I look at next?

TIA,

-E
ewarmour

P-rod slow air leak

Postby Curtisair » Fri May 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Does you know if it looses air faster if you cock the gun and leave the bolt open?
Marauder .177 Hawke Sport HD 3x9
Proud original owner of a 1977 FWB124
1976 Sheridan blue streak
Dozen or so other air rifles/pistols that have come and gone :-)
Curtisair

Re: P-rod slow air leak

Postby RatRacer » Fri May 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Put a balloons over both barrel and air tube. If barrel fills, then valve leak. If air tube fills, then QC check valve leak.
Benjamin Marauder Pistol Rapid-70 Bullpup .22
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/BNM multi-shot & shroud
Crosman 2400KT .22, 18", RB grips
KalibrGun Cricket .25 PLB & WST
RatRacer

Postby ewarmour » Fri May 25, 2012 8:05 pm

I will try these things and post the results.

Thank you for the pointers.
ewarmour

Postby ewarmour » Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 am

Curtisair wrote:Does you know if it looses air faster if you cock the gun and leave the bolt open?

I cocked the gun and left the bolt open - it loses pressure much faster.

What now?
ewarmour

P-rod slow air leak

Postby Curtisair » Mon May 28, 2012 10:30 am

When I put my depinger in I inadvertently got some debris in my air tube. I cleaned it out the best I could with compressed air but there were a few small flecks of stuff. Anyhow I put it all back together and aired it up and noticed I had a leak. I fired it a few times and the air leak lessened. Then I noticed that when I cocked it I could hear it leaking. I took my degassing tool and shall we say, rapidly degassed it.(point it in a direction where there are no loose papers or other small things to get blown away... lol). It worked great! So my guess is that I had a small piece of debris stuck in the valve and a 215cc blast of hpa from the reservoir cleared it out! That kinda stuff can be frustrating. It was an easy thing for me to do because I have air tanks and it is waaayy eaiser than pumping it by hand from zero air. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Curtis
Marauder .177 Hawke Sport HD 3x9
Proud original owner of a 1977 FWB124
1976 Sheridan blue streak
Dozen or so other air rifles/pistols that have come and gone :-)
Curtisair

Postby ewarmour » Mon May 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Curtisair wrote:So my guess is that I had a small piece of debris stuck in the valve and a 215cc blast of hpa from the reservoir cleared it out!

I've never had the gun apart so I really hope there is no debris in it that would cause it to leak. That would be bad quality control from the factory.

What should I do?

Should I remove the valve and clean the air tube?
Replace o-rings?

Is there a way to diagnose further so I can actually pin point the leak so I can fix the issue with one try?
ewarmour

Postby ewarmour » Wed May 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
ewarmour

Postby NeuRon » Thu May 31, 2012 6:41 am

Try RatRacer's suggestion to try to narrow your search.

But you touched on something: Poor quality control upon assembly. The Mrods have been known to be assembled a little on the sloppy side, with o-rings sliced on insertion. And like most any firearm, the assembly lube and assembly environment aren't clean. With demand high, some quality in assembly might diminish. I hate to say it, because I hate to do it myself, but tearing it apart and looking at everything is probably your next step. I don't mind that part, it's just the assembly to proper specs, and educated smoothing that I'm still an amateur. While a lot of people can do what a good tuner can, and I'd like to get there myself one day, I find a good deal of benefit in having a tuner 'blueprint' and 'smooth' a gun to have it working as designed, not as assembled.

That said, you probably just have a nicked o-ring that you can replace on your own, with minimal cleaning while you're in the area.
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions
NeuRon

Postby pb177 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:58 am

Ewarmour,
Presuming it is a new Marauder pistol, it could be something as simple as the valve needing to seat.

These valves are relativly soft material and the valve seat is aluminum. The valve will develop a small indentation over time that comes from 2900psi forcing it against it's seat and the slamming it takes when fired.
When they are assembled the valve is new and has no indentation. It comes with pressure and use.

Don't worry too much about it right now. Just go out and shoot it and learn how it feels and shoots. Give the valve a chance to seat itself. Leave it filled to 2900psi each time you put it up and check it each time you shoot.

I have replaced several valves and find this to be the case.

Let us know how you make out.

Best regards,
Paul in N.TX
pb177

Next

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions