Deciding on .25 vs .22

This area is dedicated to the .25 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Deciding on .25 vs .22

Postby Hygienist » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:33 am

Hey guys,

I'm dead set on buying a Marauder, but I can't decide between the .25 and the .22.

Uses will be mainly target plinking, with a tiny lil bit of hunting/pest control (up to raccoon size). This will be with a *hand pump*.

My main concern is having to pump up the .25 after only every few shots.

Having never used a PCP gun or hand pump, I have the following questions:

1. How many usable shots can I expect for casual plinking at various ranges (25, 50, 100)? For serious hunting?

2. How is pumping the .25? How difficult is it? Approximately how many minutes does it take to pump it back up after shooting? (I'm a fit 165lb 21 year old who can bench a little bit above his body weight)

3. I heard the .25 barrel is made by a different manufacturer, and that it is much better. Is that still true for a Marauder that I'd buy today, or has this case changed?

In essence, I want to know if the hand pump makes the .25 a deal breaker. Thanks!
Hygienist

Re: Deciding on .25 vs .22

Postby AirRifleHunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 am

Hygienist wrote:Hey guys,

I'm dead set on buying a Marauder, but I can't decide between the .25 and the .22.

Welcome to the best Marauder Forum around! :)

Hygienist wrote:Uses will be mainly target plinking, with a tiny lil bit of hunting/pest control (up to raccoon size).

For racoon sized animals, I would recommend the .25 cal version. Hits hard and accurate with Predator Polymags and they will make the racoon "do the dance"! :lol: A .22 will suffice, but will not carry as much FPE (foot pounds of energy) to your target and will definitely have to be a good shot. ;)

Hygienist wrote:This will be with a *hand pump*. My main concern is having to pump up the .25 after only every few shots. Having never used a PCP gun or hand pump, I have the following questions:

1. How many usable shots can I expect for casual plinking at various ranges (25, 50, 100)? For serious hunting?

The ranges will not determine your usable shots, here's my experience with my Marauders:
My .22 gets around 30 good shots using JSB Diabolo Jumbo Exact Heavy 18.1 grain pellets at an average velocity of 870 FPS and it's very accurate even out past 80 yards. My .25 gets around 16 good shots using Benjamin Domed 27.8 grain pellets at an average of 832 FPS, but I have yet to test accuracy out past 20 yards. However I know it will shoot accurately at least as far as my .22 does, and it will hit harder! Once I get my ordered springs, I'm going to bake them and install them in both guns. This will most likely up the FPS for both guns and they will shoot with a higher velocity.

Hygienist wrote:2. How is pumping the .25? How difficult is it? Approximately how many minutes does it take to pump it back up after shooting? (I'm a fit 165lb 21 year old who can bench a little bit above his body weight)

Pumping the .25 is no more difficult than pumping the .22 by hand. I pump both of mine with a Benjamin Hand Pump. However, what you will find is that you have to pump the .25 up more often when you are target shooting or testing/adjusting over a chrono because of the 16 good shot limit (unless you purchase an HDD and install it then you will have around 24 good shots with the same amount of air usage). For hunting though, it won't really matter. That is unless you have so many available targets to shoot at that you run your air down quickly! :lol: I've been out hunting and the only shot I've taken is the one I shot to empty the barrel before storing it in the truck when leaving.

Hygienist wrote:3. I heard the .25 barrel is made by a different manufacturer, and that it is much better. Is that still true for a Marauder that I'd buy today, or has this case changed?

Yes, the .25 barrel is made by Green Mountain and they are very accurate and typically not as pellet picky as the .22 model. That will still hold true if you purchase it today. I must say though that I've had good fortune with my .22 in the accuracy department. It is "Pellet Picky" though. It seems to shoot the H & N Baracudas, H & N Field Target Trophy, JSB Diabolo Jumbo Exact Heavy and the Crosman Premier Hollow Points well. I've head shot ground squirrels out to 82 yards with my .22 Marauder using the JSB's and the pellet still passed right through their heads! :o

Hygienist wrote:In essence, I want to know if the hand pump makes the .25 a deal breaker. Thanks!

I guess it depends on how much shooting you plan to do. If you plan to shoot alot, the the .25 and the hand pump will wear you out quick! When I'm tuning my .25 or testing it, I'm really wishing I had an air tank to fill it. However, when I'm filling it to go out hunting, I fill it once and go, like I mentioned sometimes never even getting a clear shot to fire when I'm out, so 16 good shots is fine. ;)

I must mention that I have both of my Marauders set up for power though. So the max usable shots I get are less than if you had it tuned for maximum shot count. Well, I don't know if this helped or confused the issue more, but hopefully it will help to clarify things a bit.

Welcome to the club! :D
AirRifleHunter

Postby Hygienist » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer! Certainly one of the better intro's I've received from a forum :)
Unfortunately, I do plan to use it mostly for target plinking, so I'm definitely going to try to wring out max shots per fill.
However, thanks for mentioning the HDD! Never heard about it until now. I was previously aware of the reservoir extension and thought I could always buy it if I found frequent pumping a nuisance. Now I'm literally ecstatic to know there's TWO things out there I can add to my Marauder to increase shot count!

I'm thinking my target will be 32 shots. Get the HDD first, see if I can't get 32 shots on factory power. If not, what do you think about going one step further and lowering FPS down to 725 on a 26gr? I'm assuming it won't be too detrimental for target practice (not too worried about hunting, . If 725 fps is inadvisable, then I'll probably get the reservoir.

Thanks again! I was really torn between the .25 and the .22 to the point that I wasn't sure I was gonna get either, but now I'm gonna order the .25 ASAP now that I know the HDD exists :)
Hygienist

Postby walnut09 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:02 pm

What does "HDD" denote? I have seen it used before but have not seen it spelled out.

Thanks,
Jim
KK4URW
walnut09

Postby AirRifleHunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:50 pm

walnut09 wrote:What does "HDD" denote? I have seen it used before but have not seen it spelled out.

Thanks,
Jim

HDD is a Hammer Debounce Device. What is does is keep the hammer from bouncing on the valve after the shot. When the Marauders come from the factory and when shot, the hammer will bounce a little on the valve which wastes air. The Hammer Debounce Device keeps the hammer from bouncing and in the process saves you quite a bit of air. Therefore allowing you to have more usable shots per fill. ;)
AirRifleHunter

Postby walnut09 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:38 pm

From reviewing the "archieves" it appears that a perfected HDD for the Marauder is still not on the market. Is that the general consensus, or are there workable ones available?

Jim
KK4URW
walnut09

Postby AirRifleHunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:04 pm

walnut09 wrote:From reviewing the "archieves" it appears that a perfected HDD for the Marauder is still not on the market. Is that the general consensus, or are there workable ones available?

Jim

For the .177, .22 and .25 Marauder Rifles, I've heard that the HDD's work just fine. The ones I've heard that have had issues are the ones for the Marauder Pistol.
AirRifleHunter

Postby hvack » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:11 pm

There is no question about which 1 to get. Do a little research google n youtube. The 25 is more centered n the barrel band and has a straighter floating barrel, its more accurate at all yardage , especially past 50. punches a 1/4" hole straight through a nutters head with up to 50 fpe. Just research about putting a depinger in it after you get it and thats all you will really need to do. These things can even kill a coyote size with good shot placement,( between the ear and temple). Even the guy at Arizona airguns said for the money and accuracy you'd have to spend allot more to get better enough for what most people use them for. Its quiet and deadly/accurate. Get one put ether #1 benji 27.8gr domes in it or #2 jbs kings. good for 10 - 300 yards. Get it n don't look back!
hvack

Postby AirRifleHunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 pm

The barrel band is adjustable, so you don't have to worry about it being "centered". You can adjust that yourself if needed by just loosening the hex screws, "centering" it and retightening the hex screws.

As far as the barrel being "straighter", the .25 barrel is no "straighter" than the .22 or .177, the accuracy has to do with the depth of the rifling in the barrel (gooves'/lands) and the finish of the barrel that makes the .25 and .177 better barrels than the .22 barrel (Crosman needs to do a better job on the .22 barrels).

If you want to get even close to 50 FPE out of your .25 Marauder, you are going to have to get it booking velocity wise. You'll have to get about 900 FPS consistantly with the Benjamin Domed 27.8 Grain pellets which I've yet to see happen in my own .25 Marauder and have yet to see anyone post actual results like that on here. A more realistic estimate would be an average of 45 FPE tops (maybe a little more if your fortunate) with the baked spring.

I absolutely agree that the .25 is more accurate than the .22 and doing the depinger mod will help with the sound (making it quieter by taking the ping of the hammer reverberating in the reservior away) and that it can kill a coyote if you are close enough (within 40 yards or less) and hit it directly in the brain. However, if you can hit your target (rabbit, squirrel, etc.) at 300 yards and kill it, I would be extremely surprised. You can even get that much drop compensation out of a typical mildot scope to accomplish that with the drop in trajectory that the .25 Marauder pellets will have. The best you might be able to do is around 200 Yards and you'd have to have the scope on 4x magnification to get anywhere close to being able to compensate that with your mildots.

It's a great air rifle, but be careful what you believe. Base it on the facts, not the hype.

What do you other guys think? CaptWoody? NeuRon? RatRacer? Roger? AlanMcD? Dave? All you other .25 owners? What is your experience with the .25? I want to make suer Hygienist has an accurate expectaion of what the .25 will do for him. ;)
AirRifleHunter

Postby Aussie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:54 pm

And now for the short answer. ;)

I have my .25 M-rod tuned aiming for mid 800s for velocity for best accuracy & I finished up with these settings.

25.4gn JSB Exact
Spring Tension Fully out
Hammer Throw in 9 turns
Velocity Screw out 3 turns

837 3100psi
866 2900psi
867 *
861 2650psi
829 2300psi

851 Av
30fps Difference from 1st shot to peak of curve.

This gives me enough shots for a couple of hunting sessions even if there are heaps of targets. Easy to remember too, fire three mags, then recharge.

I'm quite happy with that from a .25cal.

This gives me 24 very accurate shots from each recharge. It takes about 65 to 75 pumps to recharge from 2300psi to 3100psi. I'm an old timer and I don't find pumping the .25 by hand a chore. When hunting I've never come close to running down to 2300 in a session.

Life is short.....Eat desert first!
Aussie

Next

Return to .25 Cal Marauders