M-rod 25. barrels are not make by Crosman....

This area is dedicated to the .25 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

M-rod 25. barrels are not make by Crosman....

Postby foxback » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Green Mountain, is making for Crosman.
Info is from a unnamed but reliable source inside Crosman. :shock:
foxback

Re: M-rod 25. barrels are not make by Crosman....

Postby coochie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 pm

WELL AS LONG AS GREEN MOUTAIN MANUFACTURES THERE BARRELS IN THE USA, thats good news that they are making them. does anyone know of green moutains reputation???
coochie

Postby foxback » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Green Mountain is truly a premier barrel maker. :D

Crosman tends to do things in-house, and it wouldn't be surprising for them to tool up for the .25 barrel later. Now it may happen this way or it may not. You have to figure there is some possibility that they had green mountain do the barrels so they could come to market a little faster, and their barrel production could catch up whenever.
I would get an early one to be sure of getting a green mountain barrel.
foxback

Postby dwalk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 pm

green mountain also made barrels for ruger 10/22 and H&R/NEF
dwalk

Location: in the high desert of so cal between temecula and palm springs

Postby foxback » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Here is a quote from Tim at Mac one after looking at the new 25. barrel form Green Mountain.

(I was amazed at what they delivered. The crown job they did was recessed exactly like I do all mine, the reaming was super smooth and the rifling crisp.) End quote.

And people are saying that,early 25. marauders will be become much sought after.
Because of the Green Mountain barrels.

I got one, & really like mine, anyone thinking of getting one you 'll be happy if you do. :D
foxback

Postby Pumpmeister » Tue May 11, 2010 8:13 pm

What's the OD of the .25 Barrels Made By Green Mountain :?:

Mario
Pumpmeister

Postby Masked Marauder » Tue May 11, 2010 11:04 pm

.500 nominal

MM
Masked Marauder
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pumpmeister » Wed May 12, 2010 7:32 am

What about the Price...and what exact barrel at GM are we speaking of? If it's the Blank for the .25-20 Win. that's 1.062"O.D. or was I looking in wrong place? :?:

Mario
Pumpmeister

Postby RayK » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:45 am

I found a post that makes it sound like these 25 caliber Marauder barrels are not made by Green Mountain, but I could not find it again.
The guy actually called Green Mountain and asked them about making air rifle barrels.
There is also this thread discussing the issue.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=463&start=10

I think it is more likely they are made by the Chinese company that makes other Crossman products.
Clearly, they have the connections. Here is a quote from a Crossman rep: "The Benjamin XL series rifles are made in China to our specifications."
That may be why the "Made in USA" does not appear on the 25 Marauder.

Personally, I don't mind as long as the quality is high. Whoever is making the 25 barrels, I wish they would make the 22 barrels too.
Then I will get a 22 too!

Ray
25 M-rod | 16 shots @ 45 FPE -3% | 3150 fill
25 M-rod | 24 shots @ 35 FPE -3% | 2500 fill
22 M-rod | 32 shots @ 25 FPE -3% | 2750 fill
17 M-rod | 70 shots @ 13 FPE -3% | 2500 fill
22 P_rod | 32 shots @ 16 FPE -3% | 2750 fill
RayK

Postby Beezer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:50 am

Crosman is all about dominating their market, and they do that by controlling cost. All this confusion about the Marauders is why I went with a BSA Lonestar in .25 cal instead. At $625 delivered, it wasn't much more costly than a Benjamin Marauder and I know exactly where and how the barrels are made. BSA makes all their barrels in house, and they are fully the equal of Anschutz and Lothar Walther in quality. They have a detailed description of barrel making on their website, and I can guarantee that Crosman would never go to the trouble and expense they do in making barrels. BUT, their rifles usually cost in the $1000 range and are considered bargains at that price relative to other British airguns. Still, they will never dominate our market and will be a connoisseur item over here. I have an old Sheridan .20 cal made in Racine, Wisconsion. In looking at the new rifles made by Crosman, you find cheapening of components everywhere and I would suggest getting an old Benjamin or Sheridan that was really made by Benjamin or Sheridan. Mine should last far beyond my lifetime. With Baracuda pellets, it shoots like a fine British PCP air rifle.

That being said, I noticed that my old Ruger 10/22 has quite a bit of differences from the new ones being sold. What was polished and blued is now matte blued. What was metal is now often plastic. This cheapening of production seems to be happening all across the American gunmaking system.

I looked at a Kimber rifle for $1100, and it was inferior in precision fit of the bolt to the receiver compared to a CZ rifle of much lower cost. Must be why local dealers have trouble keeping CZ rifles in stock. All the salesmen tell me the CZ rifles shoot like Anschutz and Sako for a fraction of the cost, and usually a bit better than Kimber or Cooper. A salesman that owns CZ, Cooper and Kimber told me this. A happy turnaround seems to be FN Manufacturing that owns the Winchester name and is building the Winchester Model 70 in their machine gun plant on the east coast. The production is largely automated and very precise. Their actions are quite precise and very smooth. They seem like a fine European firearm such as Sako. FNM has the financial ability to set up very precise automated production line tooling. I suspect you would find almost no difference between two Model 70 rifles, just as you would between two M249 machine guns.

Did you know that FN makes repeating air rifles for nonlethal crowd control? FN usually prefers to deal with government agencies, but they do offer a few models, like their new pistol, to the public. The Winchester Model 70 they are building is said to be the best ever made, according to my local gunsmith. If the air rifle craze gets big enough, I would hope that FNM start building air rifles for consumers.

I hope that Crosman gets a bit more interested in quality. They COULD use the Sheridan name as their top quality product line, and put all the quality into air rifles that the best British manufacturers are doing. Going to China to get stuff made isn't the smartest thing to do in the long run. Chinese products may be worth their money sometimes, but you definitely know you do NOT have state-of-the-art when you buy Chinese.
Beezer

Return to .25 Cal Marauders