DIY TSS?

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

Re: DIY TSS?

Postby BigTinBoat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm

ackuric wrote:Welcome to America my friend.

There really isn't a night and day benefit from a DIY SSG + polished air tube over the TSS + MDS Hammer, it's marginal, and for a difference of 150$+ I'd say spend your money elsewhere and just DIY.

Both TSS and Nylon Hammer cost as much as a regulator by themselves, which a regulator itself can provide outstanding results at less expense.

Agreed 100% - but a really good reg can be had for only $60.
BigTinBoat

Postby 22synrodn » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 pm

The regulator doesn't do anything about hammer bounce and wasted air. You still need a TSS or SSG for that.
Romans 8:1-11

22 Synrod Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
30 Shots @ 31.02 FPE Avg., ES 1.36% (12 FPS), 1.58 FPE/CI

25 Synrod Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs 33.95gr:
24 Shots @ 55.92 FPE Avg., ES 2.08% (18 FPS), 1.45 FPE/CI
22synrodn

Postby BigTinBoat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:32 am

22synrodn wrote:The regulator doesn't do anything about hammer bounce and wasted air. You still need a TSS or SSG for that.

Or you could buy a pack of these for $6.58 and have enough for 6 MRods. Along with the $60 for the Audrius reg you will still be UNDER the cost of EITHER the Hammer OR the TSS or the SSG.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9657K392
BigTinBoat

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 pm

That's a really good find BTB. Great job......

That's all you need with a ported valve on a 25 for 40fpe all the way up to 90fpe with the turn of the HS adjuster on a 20" barrel.

Or

A 22 with a ported valve from 20fpe all the way up to 60fpe with a ported valve.

+1.8 efficiency on 25 at 40 fpe
and
+1.8 efficiency on 22 at 25fpe

Awesome find and I glad you posted it.
Shorty

Postby ackuric » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:52 pm

lol thats the spring I currently am using in my DIY SSG. Works fantastic and yea cost a whopping 9 or 10$ shipped for 6 of em. Springs do wear out over time so its good to have replacements ;)
.25 M-rod

.042" Valve Stem / .225" Ports / Lane Reg / 6.2 # hammer spring
Custom SSG's / 42gr Hammer / Peek Poppet @ .275" / 35cc Plenum Ext.

80 Shots 25.2 FPE
48 Shots @ 41 FPE
32 Shots 53.2 FPE
ackuric

Postby BigTinBoat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:43 am

ackuric wrote:lol thats the spring I currently am using in my DIY SSG. Works fantastic and yea cost a whopping 9 or 10$ shipped for 6 of em. Springs do wear out over time so its good to have replacements ;)

I guess all us "Penny (Dollar) Pinchers" must be on the same page. :D
BigTinBoat

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:45 pm

BTB,
I am not sure if it's just about being cheap.

It's weird,

There's 2 kinds of people.

Take my father -in -law for example. Unless he spent an outrageous amount of money on something, it's a piece a garbage. I agree somewhat where "you get what you pay for" but come on man.

Me,
I look at what's the best bang for the buck.

I have no idea how some of the guys here and there spend so much "xtra" money on their guns. I wish I could do that but I would no longer have a wife or be working 2 or more jobs :D . That's what the forums are for, not selling so much as sharing information with each other to improve our guns.

Heck,
I know the forums are a great place to sell and push your product along with using the forum admins to nay-say and protect their valuable vendors. With that being said, I have always wondered why Hill never posts anymore on any sites and has been banned from here. I used to enjoy communicating with him and seeing his work. His kind of communication made me work harder and smarter on building something better.

The good thing is,
It seems like the airgun companies are finally getting it "except crossman". And, the gun prices are coming down with the shot count and power levels going up "Thanks to us"

Believe it or not,
There's only 1 "stand out" thing that has changed the evolution of our air gunning over the last 2 years. Or, it would be safe to say, that item has been known for years (SSS/SSG) and just now has become popular with outstanding results from all of our hard work.
Everything else like porting and polishing has been going on even longer.

So ask yourself, what do you want out of your gun.
Is it worth it to buy all the drop in parts that add up to the cost of the gun or more
or
Is there enough information out there "granted you know hand tools and can be safe" to do the same thing or better at a 1/4 of the price.

What a nice pep talk...?!

Keep this in mind:
40/40 tune (<3%ES)on a 25 cal marauder - total cost - 519 plus some garage work- that's the total cost-gun and parts.
OVER 100 shots on a 22 marauder (<3%ES) at 25fpe - total cost - 539 plus some garage cost - that's the total cost- gun and parts.
Shorty

Postby Sciurus_Sicarius » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Shorty wrote:I have no idea how some of the guys here and there spend so much "xtra" money on their guns. I wish I could do that but I would no longer have a wife or be working 2 or more jobs :D . That's what the forums are for, not selling so much as sharing information with each other to improve our guns.
I'm not big on the selling stuff guy ever since I bought the wrong size flex hone he recommended. I'm all about sharing. But others can be bought, it seems...

Shorty, any progress on your "greater mechanical advantage" valve?" Brilliant idea!

I just bought my gun a present. It's a 26 year old 13x40 Taiwanese lathe from Craigslist! I don't have it running yet (originally 460v), but I believe I will be able to make some really cool stuff! I haven't run one in 30 odd years, but I always wanted one.

We're still infested with squirrels here in suburbia. I shoot all the Eastern Grays, but I have a "pet" Eastern Fox (brown) squirrel that I feed. I call him Noah Brown. Noah because I let him live. I told him to build an ark, but he doesn't listen...
Sciurus_Sicarius

Previous

Return to Marauder Mods