MP-rod? Slimfasting the M-rod...

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

MP-rod? Slimfasting the M-rod...

Postby RatRacer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:30 am

I am not a fan of the bulk and weight that the M-rod stock brings to the table. I am also a advocate of tactical designs and synthetic materials to improve weight and functionality for my usages.
That said, has anybody entertained or actually made a steroided P-rod out of a M-rod by adding a 22XX grip frame? As much as I love the Teryx (sp?) design, the $$ and the weight have me considering other options that I will go with my build. With the P-rod, the trigger group will fit a 17XX/22XX grip frame, but I am currently unfamiliar with mounting it to the air tube. And then there will be the Tippmann adapter and forestock to consider.

Thoughts?
RatRacer

Re: MP-rod? Slimfasting the M-rod...

Postby NeuRon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:21 pm

As a Teryx owner, I can understand your concerns. I'll be trying to trim the weight of mine, mainly because I hunt the trees with it and I could use less weight hanging out there. This would also be an issue with the factory wood. It's also important for me to bring the weight as close in toward the shoulder as possilbe (which is why I want to bullpup the Teryx; it helps already with it's adjustable stock). I'll then consider a hydroform dip to add a design/coating to it, which will reduce the ambient temp transmitting to the metal stock.

You might want to see how owners feel about the ergonomics of the pistol's carbine stock, to see if it's worth the hassle. The factory wood on the Marauder is pretty darn light, even if the balance is off. Cutting out the center of the stock (to resemble the pistol's) and then removing excess length and sections from the foregrip would reduce it and correct balance... ...but it doesn't get you synthetic material.

I think drilling out weight from the Teryx will help a lot, getting it under the weight of the factory wood, with better balance and that awesome, CNC'd bed for the action. Making it a bullpup is a personal preference, due to tilting it up toward the treetops often. If there is room (to drill space) for a solenoid near the trigger-pack, this could be the easiest route to making a bullpup with off-the-shelf parts, so-to-speak.
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions
NeuRon

Postby RatRacer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks for some insight NeuRon. I have a P-rod and all the accessories due in next week for a Tippmann carbine-ation. My real issue is I have a smallish handspan, and my actual grasp on the stock feels uncertain when picking it up, and extending my finger for triggering feels overextended. My NP gun had the same feeling, and when I switched the stock over to a AW Trail thumbhole stock, that feeling went away due to it's pistol grip and my accuracy improved. I've shot pistols and M-16's most of my adulthood, so that style of grip is what I'm most comfortable with.
RatRacer

Postby NeuRon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 pm

From my other thread, tonight: ;)

'I have to say this, on the weight:

I have it taken apart and there really isn't any wasted space or excess fat laying around. The only area I can see to drill holes is along the foregrip area. The integrated rail definately adds some weight, but the package, overall, isn't too heavy. The original, rail-less version was undoubtably light. But to give you some idea, the adjustable buttpad I added (see previous post pics) is pretty substantial and feels to be maybe a 3rd of the weight. When I'm done drilling, I figure it will be almost half the total weight (hanging at the shoulder)... ...AND total weight of the Teryx chassis (with my heavy buttpad) will be less than the factory wood, and closer to the shoulder.'
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions
NeuRon

Postby RatRacer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:02 am

That sounds good NeuRon. I can't wait to see your final version. My main issue is not so much about the weight, but more about the girth of the handling areas. I also like the tactical look.
RatRacer

Postby tcgoetz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:32 am

How about this mod? (Cut down mrod factory stock) http://www.airgunone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23213

There is also the mrod in a challenger stock: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1241

I have similar feelings about the mrod size and weight and am looking at these as possible solutions.
.177 Storm XT, Leapers 5th Gen 4-12x40
.22 Marauder, Leapers 5th Gen 4-16x50
tcgoetz

Postby RatRacer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:04 am

Yeah, I saw those. I've spoken to Manny (Nomadic Pirate) about his stock whittling project, and that was a consideration. I don't like the challenger stock enough either. I wound up getting a Teryx stock, so we'll see how that works out. Thanks for still looking out though, and welcome.
RatRacer

Return to Marauder Mods