Depingers, theory and location

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

Re: Depingers, theory and location

Postby AirRifleHunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Motorhead wrote:I happened to have some silicone tubing of @ 1/4" wall thickness a tad larger in diameter than air tubes I.D.
Cut a 1 1/2" long section and pressed it down the tube lubricated with a light film of silicone grease.
Fit was quite snug and the ping is 90% gone. Best part a MUCH cleaner install than rolled up plastic tubing :?

Currently chasing down a 500# per 12 hour leak someplace within rifle :?: ... so about to go all the way into the guts, deburr the parts with o-rings and surfaces they slide over getting assembled. New o-rings etc ...

Then I am going to do a 2 piece de-pinger using 2 each 3/4" pieces splitting the air chamber into thirds. I too will report my findings in a week or so.

Motorhead, where did you purchase the silicone tubing from. I went to both Lowe's and Home Depot and all they had was vinyl in small diamters and in 1 7/8" diameter and up. The larger diameter ones were too thick and stiff looking and I like the idea of using silicone tubing instead. Thanks for any information. :)
AirRifleHunter

Postby Motorhead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm

AirRifleHunter wrote:
Motorhead wrote:I happened to have some silicone tubing of @ 1/4" wall thickness a tad larger in diameter than air tubes I.D.
Cut a 1 1/2" long section and pressed it down the tube lubricated with a light film of silicone grease.
Fit was quite snug and the ping is 90% gone. Best part a MUCH cleaner install than rolled up plastic tubing :?

Currently chasing down a 500# per 12 hour leak someplace within rifle :?: ... so about to go all the way into the guts, deburr the parts with o-rings and surfaces they slide over getting assembled. New o-rings etc ...

Then I am going to do a 2 piece de-pinger using 2 each 3/4" pieces splitting the air chamber into thirds. I too will report my findings in a week or so.

Motorhead, where did you purchase the silicone tubing from. I went to both Lowe's and Home Depot and all they had was vinyl in small diamters and in 1 7/8" diameter and up. The larger diameter ones were too thick and stiff looking and I like the idea of using silicone tubing instead. Thanks for any information. :)

My other hobby is Racing Radio Control boats. The silicone tubing comes in different sizes we use as exhaust pipe couplers.

McMaster Carr sell it: http://www.mcmaster.com/#silicone-rubber-tubing
*Click TUBING, then Non Reinforced type and O.D. wanted.

I had some already, but pretty sure ya want this # 3184K3 ... It is 1/4" wall X 1 1/4" O.D. X 3/4" I.D.
Cut into rings it easily with some lube press's FIRMLY into air tube.

** Might need to measure the rifle air tube I.D. and confirm size ? ... IMO you do want tubing diameter to be 1/8" or so larger than air chambers I.D.
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
2) M-rods - Pup .22 & HFT .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
Crosman 1701P .177
AA TX-200 MkIII .177
FWB 124D .177
Diana 75 HV .177
Barnett Spitfire .177
Stoeger X20 .22 NP
Crosman PC77 & SSP-250 .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby cappy227 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:18 am

pb177 wrote:Gentlemen,
For what it is worth, I have been installing 2 vinyl depingers in my air tubes at approximately 1/3 internal tube length intervals.
I have had great results. I don’t have diagnostic equipment, just my ears, however there is a marked difference in what I can hear.
Previously, I had used 1 ½”-2” long vinyl tubing about half way down the tube as many others have.
It worked well, but I thought about the wasted space within the airtube and shot count. I remembered some lessons learned in my Physics classes about pressure waves and breaking them up, so I took 2 thin pieces of tubing and placed the first ahead of the valve about 1 ½” less than 1/3 the inside length of the airtube and the other piece halfway down the remainder of the tube. Leaving 3 unequal lengths of space to break the wave’s frequency. I reduced the amount of vinyl in the airtube by about 75%.
I picked shot count back up and the rifle was noticeably quieter than with the single vinyl tube.
I would encourage you to give this a try and record and report your results. I think I have keen hearing but it would be nice to see quantifiable results.

Thanks for sharing your results so far.
Best of luck and success with your project.
Paul in N.TX

Paul, holy sh** - great suggestion. I tried it on my .25 this week, using two rolled pieces of tubing at 1" instead of one piece at 2"....combines with Jim Gaska's two extra baffles, it's now quieter than my .22 by far. There's NO ping whatsoever! The most obnoxious noise it makes, now, is the actual racking of the bolt when I reload! Cheers man - thanks so much for sharing this!
.25 Marauder Rifle w/Leapers Accushot SWAT 4-16x56AO
.22 Marauder Rifle w/Leapers Accushot SWAT 3-12x44AO Compact
.22 Marauder Pistol (Tuned at Cobra) w/SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm
cappy227

Postby Thegriffin1313 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Please tolerate my ignorance :roll: since I am new to this particular rifle.
1. What performance is achieved with this mod?
2. Is this only an audible modification. (ie why not a muffler vs depinger) since Depinger is usually associated to de-bouncing!
3. Is the risk of damaging the o-ring and threads worth this modification vs other more logical ones? external dampening for one
4. How many cubic inches of volume is lost if any with this mod since from what I understand that it is taking space in the air reservoir chamber?

Thank you for the enlightenment
Thegriffin1313

Postby ward360 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Thegriffin1313

1. What performance is achieved with this mod?
2. Is this only an audible modification. (ie why not a muffler vs depinger) since Depinger is usually associated to de-bouncing!

No performance gain with this at all other then sound. It eliminate's the resonating sound wave's inside the pressure tube after the shot.
Not sure what you mean by a muffler?
De-bouncing is very different! that is a whole other subject!

3. Is the risk of damaging the o-ring and threads worth this modification vs other more logical ones? external dampening for one

Since the sound is generated internally by air pressure wave's it is not practical to dampen it from the outside. It would probably be very large and ugly by the time you were done,

This is the logical solution. Eliminating the sound at it's source is a much better option the trying to cover up the sound after it is already created.

The risk is small of damaging anything, Be gentle with the o-ring. The threads are threads, they are meant to be taken apart and put together. If you do damage the o-ring you can replace it for a few dollars. If you damage the threads you should have your tools taken away and not be allowed to play with them. :lol:

4. How many cubic inches of volume is lost if any with this mod since from what I understand that it is taking space in the air reservoir chamber?

A few cubic centimeter's are lost, a very small percentage of your total.

Just a little math. 125cc/30 shots is 4.17 cc/shot ( rounded) Based on a .22 cal

I would guess that the two smaller Depinger option is about 5 cc in volume. So you might loose 1 shot of your count.

But that is all adjustable. Depending on your energy requirement's or wants. What I suspect is that you would never even know you did it. (as far as shot count goes)

If you don't like the ping it is a very worthwhile mod!

How long have you had your Marauder?
ward360

Postby Thegriffin1313 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 am

Thank you for the clarification
Many videos on this on YouTube
And it can get quite to be annoying sound.
Espacialy in the stock setup that places the tube next to your ear.
As for the time a super noob a few days at best.

Usually with most of my obsetions I like to read and see what others have
done before I start breaking things. ;)

And yes the thread issue well just Murphy's law seems to get best of me.
Hence a lot of research before I start tinkering
Mr Paul in Texas has a wealth of information on the modifications and I am going to follow his gudence after I read thru all his ideas before I pm him. From what I have read here he seems to be a master Marauder tech. A Marauder "yoda" per say.
Thanks
Thegriffin1313

Postby rfhall11 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Who's this Mr. Paul?
rfhall11

Postby NeuRon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Your name is Yoda now.

:lol:

Well, my trigger is as sexy as Leia-in-Slave-Costume (or sexy as a Twi'lek dancer, for you real SW geeks. :D)
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions
NeuRon

Postby Thegriffin1313 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:35 pm

pb177 was the Paul I was referring too. No offense to the yoda refrance ether.

Sorry could of ment Dr Ron Paul the only true savior of this land aside from Christ himself.
I see the similarity from my previous post.

Lets keep the depinger topic going sorry.
Thegriffin1313

Postby ward360 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Oh yea, and make sure you degas before the take it apart!!! or you will be in a world of hurt! :cry:

The end cap would come off with over 3000 pounds of force! it would be a bad day! :cry:

The way the end cap is designed it would be very hard to cross thread. Once it is un-threaded the o-ring will still be hanging on deep inside, if you work it around in a circular rocking motion while pulling on it, It is not to hard.

Kinda hard to explain...
ward360

PreviousNext

Return to Marauder Mods