PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY NEW MARAUDER .22

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY NEW MARAUDER .22

Postby Bullseye13 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Hello everybody. I am new to this great forum and this is my first post so please forgive me if I didn't post this in the correct area.
I purchased a new Marauder in .22 caliber. I installed a Meopta 6-18x50AO scope with Burris extreme tactical medium height scope rings.
So here is my problem no matter what I do the pellets are hitting the target approximately 6 inches low and 3 inches to the left at 25 yards. The scope is maxed out as high as it will go and also maxed out as far to the right as it will go. I tried to use a brass shim under the scope ring with very little results. The thickest shim I could use was .032. Any thicker and the scope ring would not be able to clamp to the receivers dovetail. Here are a few of the things I checked on the rifle, baffles are in good shape and installed in the correct direction , o-rings are all there and in good condition, all screws are snug, barrel shroud is snug. I tried several different air pressures and 14 different weights and types of pellets, also tried several different scopes. I am at my wits end with this air rifle and ready to just get rid of it. I really don't want to but what am I supposed to do with an air rifle that can't hit the broad side of a barn. If any forum member can help me I would greatly appreciate your help. I apologize for the long post and I thank you for your time. Please have a great day.
Bullseye13

Re: PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY NEW MARAUDER .22

Postby 22synrodn » Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Are the pellets grouping even though they're off center? A couple of things I would try if it were mine would be to mechanically center the turrets and start over with the scope. Another would be to remove the shroud and try some shots. The barrel should be centered in the barrel band and not touching the band. You could have a crown or burr issue with the barrel. Call Crosman or whoever if under warranty and send it back.
John 3:18

22 Synrod Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
31 Shots @ 30.41 FPE, (1.40 FPE/CI)

25 Synrod Regulated. Tuned using JSB 33.95gr:
42 Shots @ 49.23 FPE (1.70 FPE/CI)
22synrodn

Postby Barnydaddy » Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 am

I assume you are putting the shim in the back ring?

Take the shroud off.
Remove all of the baffles.
Shoot again with nothing but the barrel.

Have you checked the speed?

Shoot at 10 yards without the scope.
Just look down the top of the barrel.
AA TX200 MKIII, .177
Baikal IZH46M
Beeman R1, .177
Benjamin Blue Streak
Benjamin Marauder, .177
Benjamin Marauder, .25
Crosman 1720T
Daisy Model 25 Var 17
Daisy 747
Daisy Red Ryder
HW35E, .177
RWS Diana 52, .177
Barnydaddy

Location: Between San Francisco and Sacramento by Jelly Belly and Budweiser

Postby int3man » Wed May 17, 2017 4:53 pm

I purchased a second hand rifle once and the scope was resting on the Shroud. Point of impact would move depending on the distance.

As a previous poster said take off the shroud. Point the rifle down hill and slide off the shroud with all the baffles and spring in place. Shoot at a target 10 feet away. Get it centered. Then reinstall the shroud, pointing downhill and test. If it is off it is because your barrel band is pressing on the shroud.

Just guessing.
Good Luck
Michael :- )
.25 Marauder Full W.A.R.
PRod Modified Valve, LW Barrel W.A.R. NBH
Broadening my Horizons
.22 Brocock S6 XL
.25 BSA Scorpion Huma REG
.25 Air Arms Extra FAC
.22 Marauder Regulated LW Barrel Rapid 70 Bull Stolen
W.A.R. .30 FLEX DA BOMB!! Stolen
int3man

Postby Marauder .22 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:30 pm

22synrodn asked if the pellets are grouping even though the point of impact is off the targeted area. Good info to start with. Centering the scope mechanically and starting over may not help you since you tried several scopes but never hurts to try it again. Removing the complete shroud assembly is the next test to eliminate a warped (out of round) shroud causing your barrel to be shifted.

Barneydaddy suggested speed might be a factor and you need a Chrony to test for that but if you are shooting at factory settings, then you should be getting the proper speed for some bit of accuracy.

So, if the shroud is centered in the barrel band, the factory settings were not played with, shooting the rifle without the shroud doesn't help, then send it back for a replacement.
You may also have an out of round barrel which would create the problem but don't mess with it. Send it back and get another. Let us know how you make out.
Marauder .22

Postby Bullseye13 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi thanks for all of the replies. Here are a few answers to the questions a few of you asked. First off I did install the shim under the rear scope ring. It made very little if any difference at all maybe a pellet width at 25 yards but it was so hard to tell because the groups were so spread out. I was getting groups of 3 to 4 inches and every great once in a while i would get a few good shots that a dime would cover and then the next several shots would be about 1.5 to 2 inches away from the tighter group. All shots were still very low and to the left of the bullseye.I also did reset the scope reticle to the center by counting the total clicks and then turning back half way.Also the barrel shroud is not touching the barrel band. And here's another kicker as I was wiping the rifle down after shooting it today I noticed that the stock is cracked at the wrist. I've had this rifle for about 3 weeks now and have had nothing but problems with it. I think I'm about ready to give up on it. I wish I would have bought the .25 caliber when I was deciding on what at one to get well that's my luck. I got stuck with the lemon. Thanks for all of your replies I greatly appreciate them.
Bullseye13

Postby int3man » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 am

Well if under 30 days you can return it. And get the .25. Everything you are telling us is saying clipping. The pellet is hitting something after it leaves the barrels. Pull your baffles and see if they are clipped.

What part of the world are you in?
Michael :- )
Central Ca.
.25 Marauder Full W.A.R.
PRod Modified Valve, LW Barrel W.A.R. NBH
Broadening my Horizons
.22 Brocock S6 XL
.25 BSA Scorpion Huma REG
.25 Air Arms Extra FAC
.22 Marauder Regulated LW Barrel Rapid 70 Bull Stolen
W.A.R. .30 FLEX DA BOMB!! Stolen
int3man