Who has Lane regulators?

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Who has Lane regulators?

Postby Panic Button » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 pm

I ordered and received my new Lane "Lancet MK8" regulator for my synrod .22 cal. First thing I noticed as I was attaching the small metal pull ring was the regulator was two pieces shoved together. The regulator half had the long spacer pushed onto it and there was an o-ring to seal it when fitted together.

It doesn't seem like it's a very tight fit and I was thinking if I had to pull the regulator out at some point in time, what's to stop it from separating during the pull? It doesn't take a lot of effort to pull the two halves apart. If necessary it could be pushed out from the back by removing the rest of the pieces to gain access.

I was going to ask Lane, but they are closed until the 16th of this month. Anyone have any experience with pulling one of these out?

Also, the paperwork talks about enlarging the transfer port, air valve, removing a sleeve, and increasing the compression of the outlet valve spring. Has everyone that has one of these done that? What would happen if the regulator were just installed without doing any of that? Are these modifications mostly for high power users?

I'm using the Crosman Premier Dome 14.3 gr pellets and the highest fps is just under 850 unregulated. I've popped a few squirrels and a possum so far with this combination with no issues.

I'm not sure what I can expect for fps once this regulator is installed, but it is set at 140 bar now and max is 150. I will be installing a TSS and MDS Super Hammer too, so not sure if I need to enlarge anything when installing those too?

If I can get the same fps as I'm getting now, that would be fine. I don't think I need to go any higher than what it's doing now?

Do you think with the regulator, TSS and MDS Super Hammer I will be able to get 850 or higher fps after tuning without doing any port enlarging?

One of my goals is to have this rifle be as quiet as possible to calm my neighbors. So far all I've done to this rifle is drill out the six holes in the barrel shroud spacer/baffle to 3/16'. Doing that helped a lot with the noise and with the new hammer and TSS it should be even quieter.

Cheers, PB

Benjamin Marauder, Gen-2, Synrod, .22cal
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
ATN X Sight 2 HD 3x14 scope
80 cu ft scuba tank w/gauged fill hose
Yong Heng 4,500psi compressor
Panic Button

Re: Who has Lane regulators?

Postby 22synrodn » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:34 pm

I like that new design...You don't have to remove the gauge to pull the adjustable part of the regulator out to make adjustments. Nothing wrong I can see there. Just make sure you push it back all the way in when reinserting the adjustable piece in the air tube.

Fill your gun up to 140 bar and shoot it. That is the pressure your pellet will see when the regulator is installed, not your current fill pressure. You can try it without opening up the ports as recommended, but you will probably not be able to reach your goals unless you use a lot of hammer spring and if you do that, you will not be operating very efficiently. When operating at the lower set point pressure you need to open up the ports as recommended to increase the air flow to the pellet skirt due to the lower set pressure. Now you may understand why you need a higher flowing valve than your stock's restrictive valve opening or opening up your stock valve so it can breathe better along with the full path to the pellet skirt i.e. transfer port and valve port.

Reducing the valve spring rating is also recommended for easier cocking and the opening up of the valve.

You are taking on a lot and there is a learning curve to regulating, but once you get it, the reg will eliminate the ping completely so you can remove the factory depinger. The reg will also let you fill a little higher (being the sweet spot was 2800-2900 psi) to 3000 psi + without having to worry about a bell curve and a high extreme spread. Also, if tuned correctly on the knee of the bell curve, you can maximize the shot count and get additional shots beyond the set point pressure.
Romans 8:1-11

22 Synrod Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
31 Shots @ 30.43 FPE, ES 1.60% (14 FPS)

25 Synrod Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs 33.95gr:
32 Shots @ 51.57 FPE, ES 1.91% (16 FPS)
22synrodn

Postby Panic Button » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:49 pm

22synrodn wrote:I like that new design...You don't have to remove the gauge to pull the adjustable part of the regulator out to make adjustments. Nothing wrong I can see there. Just make sure you push it back all the way in when reinserting the adjustable piece in the air tube.

Fill your gun up to 140 bar and shoot it. That is the pressure your pellet will see when the regulator is installed, not your current fill pressure. You can try it without opening up the ports as recommended, but you will probably not be able to reach your goals unless you use a lot of hammer spring and if you do that, you will not be operating very efficiently. When operating at the lower set point pressure you need to open up the ports as recommended to increase the air flow to the pellet skirt due to the lower set pressure. Now you may understand why you need a higher flowing valve than your stock's restrictive valve opening or opening up your stock valve so it can breathe better along with the full path to the pellet skirt i.e. transfer port and valve port.

Reducing the valve spring rating is also recommended for easier cocking and the opening up of the valve.

You are taking on a lot and there is a learning curve to regulating, but once you get it, the reg will eliminate the ping completely so you can remove the factory depinger. The reg will also let you fill a little higher (being the sweet spot was 2800-2900 psi) to 3000 psi + without having to worry about a bell curve and a high extreme spread. Also, if tuned correctly on the knee of the bell curve, you can maximize the shot count and get additional shots beyond the set point pressure.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes perfect sense now, pull just the regulator, leave the gauge adapter in place.

I think I will try installing without any enlarging and see how it performs. I may just install it set to 150 rather than 140. 140 is equal to 2,030psi and 150 is 2,175. According to the 40 shot string I did last weekend, it was shooting at 830fps at 2,100psi, the initial fill was 3,000psi.

I noticed if I turned the adjuster to 150 there was still a small part of the adjuster sticking into the hole. What would happen if I screwed it out until the hole was wide open?

It's my understanding the regulator is rated from 30 to 150 bar, so it would seem it could be high than that.

Cheers, PB
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
Panic Button

Postby 22synrodn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:10 pm

That sounds like it would work for you at 150 bar. You may get cut short 100 psi from your previous tune, but you just have to test it to see.

I don't have a Lane reg, but I believe the hole you are referring to is just the air inlet to the reg and has nothing to do with the regulated part so it would not make a difference in the max 150 bar limit and not advisable to go beyond the 150 bar setting IMHO.
Romans 8:1-11

22 Synrod Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
31 Shots @ 30.43 FPE, ES 1.60% (14 FPS)

25 Synrod Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs 33.95gr:
32 Shots @ 51.57 FPE, ES 1.91% (16 FPS)
22synrodn

Postby Panic Button » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:32 pm

22synrodn wrote:That sounds like it would work for you at 150 bar. You may get cut short 100 psi from your previous tune, but you just have to test it to see.

I don't have a Lane reg, but I believe the hole you are referring to is just the air inlet to the reg and has nothing to do with the regulated part so it would not make a difference in the max 150 bar limit and not advisable to go beyond the 150 bar setting IMHO.

Yes the hole is the air inlet and the adjuster, depending on where it's set, comes in contact with the "Knife Edge Face" of the spring loaded piston. So depending on where the adjuster sits, would depend on where the piston shaft hits.

I was taking a closer look at the adjuster and the shaft of the piston is nowhere close to the nylon end of the adjuster? Is that because it's not under pressure? Will the piston/shaft move up and seal on the nylon portion of the adjuster once it's pressured up?

Cheers, PB
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
Panic Button

Postby Panic Button » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:29 am

Update.

I installed the new Lane regulator last night. It came preset to 140bar, I set it to 150bar, supposed to be the maximum rated setting. When I first aired it up, it had an air leak. :shock: Fixed the air leak, aired it up to 3,000psi and the regulated side read 2,100psi.

That's about right according to my calculator when converting 150bar to psi. I went with 150bar because 2,100psi was just about what it was reading after 40 shots from a 3,000psi fill before installing the regulator.

When I looked at it several hours later, it was reading 2,300psi. Hum, the regulator must be settling in. I went to bed and it was still at 2,300psi when I got up. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, will do that later today.

I need to adjust the TSS too as I just installed one of those while it was apart. Not sure if I will get a chance to set up the chronograph today or not.

Cheers, PB
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
Panic Button

Return to .22 Cal Marauders