To lube or not to lube copper coated pellets.

This area is dedicated to the .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

To lube or not to lube copper coated pellets.

Postby Panic Button » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 am

I ordered some new and heavier pellets for my synrod .22, which are arriving today. I've always cleaned my pellets with my ultrasonic cleaner, then a very light coat of lube when total dry.

One of the pellets I ordered are the H&N Baracuda Power, 21.14 grain, which are copper coated. I plan on cleaning them, but not sure if it's necessary to lube them. What are your thoughts?

Cheers, PB
Benjamin Marauder, Gen-2, Synrod, .22cal
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
ATN X Sight 2 HD 3x14 scope
80 cu ft scuba tank w/gauged fill hose
Yong Heng 4,500psi compressor
Panic Button

Re: To lube or not to lube copper coated pellets.

Postby 22synrodn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 am

It would be interesting to start them out with a clean barrel and no lube and shoot a number of groups to get a clear view of their performance that way. Add a light lube and run the groups again to see which gives the better results.

The heavier lead needs to be shot at ~ 830-850 fps to give them a fair accuracy assessment when comparing them to the 18.13gr shot at those same velocity ranges, so a new tune is needed IMHO.
Romans 8:1-11

22 Synrod Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
30 Shots @ 31.02 FPE Avg., ES 1.36% (12 FPS), 1.58 FPE/CI

25 Synrod Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs 33.95gr:
24 Shots @ 55.92 FPE Avg., ES 2.08% (18 FPS), 1.45 FPE/CI
22synrodn

Postby Panic Button » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 pm

22synrodn wrote:It would be interesting to start them out with a clean barrel and no lube and shoot a number of groups to get a clear view of their performance that way. Add a light lube and run the groups again to see which gives the better results.

The heavier lead needs to be shot at ~ 830-850 fps to give them a fair accuracy assessment when comparing them to the 18.13gr shot at those same velocity ranges, so a new tune is needed IMHO.

My shooting distance is only about 60 feet, so it doesn't seem to make much difference what i do, the group sizes are always pretty tight. I don't plan on ever being away from home with this rifle to shoot longer distances, so won't spend much time worrying about long range accuracy. I seem to be able to nail a LFF (Little Furry F^*%#r as I call them) between the eyes as long as they stand still long enough.

Absolutely a new tune is necessary since I going to try the 21.14's first and it's shooting 14.3's now. I plan on tightening up on the TSS until I get to where I want it. Not sure if I will have any issues since I have a Lane regulator install set at 150 bar. I do have the air valve opened up all the way, but haven't done any mods to transfer tube enlargement, etc. At the moment, the TSS main spring is the stock spring and it's adjustment is one turn out from flush with the small spring adjustment all the way out. I don't recall exactly, but I think it's shooting about 870 fps with the 14.3's.

Thanks, PB
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
Panic Button

Postby 22synrodn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Yes, that's right...I forgot about your situation and setup. Regardless, you should be able to take 'em down much easier with the heavier lead and a good headshot.

22synrodn

Postby Panic Button » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm

22synrodn wrote:Yes, that's right...I forgot about your situation and setup. Regardless, you should be able to take 'em down much easier with the heavier lead and a good headshot.

They arrived and the copper plated "Power" pellets are so clean I might not clean them.

I fired 10 rounds before doing anything using the 14.3 Crosman's, and was averaging 870fps. Fired 10 rounds of the 21.14 "Power" without making any changes, averaging 720. Turned the TSS main spring flush, smaller spring two turns in from all the way out, averaging 770, then four turns in from all the way out averaging 790.

Problem is it's getting harder to cock. This rifle has always been hard to cock right out of the box, even before making any mods. I think I'm at the springs travel limit on the small spring adjustment, because I know it will get even harder to cock the more I screw it in. To get more power, I might have to take the regulator out, or open up the air passageways like is described in the Lane literature. I think I will leave it like it is for now, sight it in at 60 feet and see what happens.

With the "Power" 21.14's @ 790, that's just under 30fpe so I should get a harder hit than with the 14.3's that I was currently using. Although the real reason for going to a heavier pellet isn't for the squirrels, it's for the possums and raccoons, but it will be interesting to see the results the next time.

Cheers, PB
Last edited by Panic Button on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
Panic Button

Postby 22synrodn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 pm

Boy, I do like that scope. Looks like you are a good shot with it. Just a tip, you might want to post the hunting videos over in the hunting section, just to comply with forum rules.

I am not big on baiting the critters, but many do. I do keep a bird feeder going year round, but typically don't shoot any critter that it draws in. I do get pest that attack my garden vegetables, pecan trees, fig trees, grapes and blueberries and consider them fair game especially with the food I put out that they could be eating instead. The squirrels and skunks love digging up my yard too. I do have to thin the squirrels occasionally because their numbers can reach 15 to 20, but I do leave a number of couples to repopulate. I sex them with binoculars first.

I do like watching the critters from my sun room. The bird feeder draws in deer, turkeys, coons, possums, turtles, foxes, rabbits, crows, wood peckers, and tons of different birds. It's also fun to watch the hawks get their evening meals. I don't shoot any of them unless there is a good reason like I mentioned. I own other land that I go to for my game hunting.

Be careful with 30 FPE with your close neighbors. These guns are quiet, but the power is still there. I have taken a number squirrels with the 21.14gr at 80 yards with a 30 FPE tune. It will reach on out there with plenty of power still.

22synrodn

Postby Panic Button » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 am

22synrodn wrote:Boy, I do like that scope. Looks like you are a good shot with it. Just a tip, you might want to post the hunting videos over in the hunting section, just to comply with forum rules.

I am not big on baiting the critters, but many do. I do keep a bird feeder going year round, but typically don't shoot any critter that it draws in. I do get pest that attack my garden vegetables, pecan trees, fig trees, grapes and blueberries and consider them fair game especially with the food I put out that they could be eating instead. The squirrels and skunks love digging up my yard too. I do have to thin the squirrels occasionally because their numbers can reach 15 to 20, but I do leave a number of couples to repopulate. I sex them with binoculars first.

I do like watching the critters from my sun room. The bird feeder draws in deer, turkeys, coons, possums, turtles, foxes, rabbits, crows, wood peckers, and tons of different birds. It's also fun to watch the hawks get their evening meals. I don't shoot any of them unless there is a good reason like I mentioned. I own other land that I go to for my game hunting.

Be careful with 30 FPE with your close neighbors. These guns are quiet, but the power is still there. I have taken a number squirrels with the 21.14gr at 80 yards with a 30 FPE tune. It will reach on out there with plenty of power still.

Thanks for the input and I edited out the video link, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Around my place the critters are a pest, they get into things, do to much digging and chewing, and if you've ever had squirrels in your attic, you wouldn't be happy. So I just take care of the problem as best as I can.

As for being careful, I have certain areas on my property that I only shoot into, never have had any issues with a pellet leaving my property.

Cheers, PB
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
Panic Button

Postby 22synrodn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Yes, they are a nuisance and is the reason I got into airguns to begin with. Nothing like seeing squirrels running off with your tomatoes or squash after all the time, money and labor invested. Also, with trying to grow a pretty lawn. I think I have an armadillo problem now. Something keeps digging up my yard really bad and I don't think it is the squirrels or skunks this time based on the amount of damage I keep seeing. I have heard that they have made it this far north now and I have seen them as roadkill nearby. Checking the laws, I see where they basically say kill everyone of them you see so it's a good reason to test out my new 56 FPE 25 cal tune if I do see one. I have read where they carry some nasty diseases so I will have to be careful in handling them. It is nice to be able to control your domain thanks to these quiet airguns!

22synrodn

Postby Panic Button » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:16 pm

So far I've only shot the Power 21.14's and decided not to clean them as they are so clean right out of the tin. I've been shooting them without lube and tonight I lubed up a bunch of them to see what happens. They are slightly harder to get inserted, so maybe the lube will help and help keep the o-ring lubed up too.

I've manage to take down two squirrels so far and both head shots, in one side out the other, don't use a squirrel as a backstop with these pellets.

Cheers, PB
Lane regulator
TSS & MDS Super Hammer
Panic Button

Return to .22 Cal Marauders