Ads for Marauder .177

120th Marauder Built in Jan 2010 (Made In The USA)

This area is dedicated to the .177 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

120th Marauder Built in Jan 2010 (Made In The USA)

Postby DRAGON64 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 pm

This is my 5th Gen1 Marauder. I have bought and sold (1) .22 cal and (3) .177 cal Marauders over the years. Bought all of them with the right intentions, and sold them all for the wrong reasons... Probably nothing special to some, but this Marauder still proudly displays "MADE IN THE USA" under the Marauder logo, and that made it special to me. The rifle is well used, but not abused. The magazine is wore out, as it has been shot a lot. The barrel was fouled a bit, and will require much of cleaning. The rifle was missing the degassing tool... This go around I will take a little longer to get to know this rifle. I picked up an OEM degassing tool from Pyramyd Air, and I have degassed the rifle tonight... It is time to strip the Marauder down, and give this rifle fresh seals, and a new lease on life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
DRAGON64

Re: 120th Marauder Built in Jan 2010 (Made In The USA)

Postby 22synrodn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:14 am

An oldie but a goodie. That one does date back a ways.

I suppose it would be neat to have a .177 since I have the other two platforms. I would want a Synrod to match the others. I am not really focused on getting one or really needing one.
John 3:18

22 Synrod Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
31 Shots @ 30.43 FPE, ES 1.60% (14 FPS)

25 Synrod Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs 33.95gr:
32 Shots @ 51.57 FPE, ES 1.91% (16 FPS)
22synrodn

Postby DRAGON64 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:00 am

It does indeed have a little age. I believe everything is still intact as well (i.e. no mods what-so-ever). I sold a competition 22LR to fund some of the work and parts I will be putting into this rifle. And! to my complete surprise, I have received everything I have asked for so far... I can expound more on that later. The .22cal Gen1 was the first Marauder I ever owned, and it was a tack driver. It was so accurate (which was unusual for .22 cal Marauders), that I contemplated using it for hunting. But I decided field target was a sport I really wanted to shoot in. After learning that .177 was preferred, I sold that .22cal.

If I were you, and were in the market, I would definitely add a .177 to the stable... they can be laser-beam accurate, and used for so many shooting disciplines, in or outdoor. I remember thinking when I bought my first Marauder in .177, "such a big gun for such a small projectile.. But I have enjoyed playing them, so the choice to buy another was a no-brainer.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
DRAGON64

Postby DRAGON64 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed the trigger group. Used a little toothpaste and a polishing disc on my Dremel to smooth the trigger sear a bit... not sure that it did much good though, but it is a bit cleaner looking. The biggest change was replacing the Marauder stock trigger for the RAW set-back trigger. Did not adjust 1st or 2nd stage set screws, just widened the pivot hole to .125", lubed and installed. 1st and 2nd stages seem to be spot on at the moment. I will know more once I am shooting the rifle.

The previous owner removed the "lawyer spring" so the trigger is pretty light... but even after tinkering this evening, I not too sure that the trigger will break like glass... seems a little spongy for now.
DRAGON64

Postby DRAGON64 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Worked a little more on the trigger group today. After shortening the 1st pull, the 2nd stage crisped right up! I thought maybe the rifle had a home made de-pinger mod done to it, because there is almost no ping when fired... but alas, a quick disassemble noted no such mod... this rifle is almost pingless. Note here, I prefer the ping of the Marauder... growing up around the famous M1 Garand, I have become fond of ping noises! Also, the original owner was shooting this rifle with no hammer spring or striker adjustments. All adjustment screws where tightened down or closed. The velocity screw was only half opened. I went ahead and adjusted the Striker to 1.875CW, the hammer spring to 3.25CW, and the velocity is set to 4.5CCW.

Anyway, the rifle is nearly ready to be re-sealed, just waiting on the o-rings to come in. The final mod before tuning can begin will be the Lothar Walther barrel, which is still about another week to 2-weeks out from delivery.
DRAGON64

Postby DRAGON64 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:10 pm

So the o-rings finally arrived from the O-Ring Store, but I will not get to the re-seal till later in the week or on the weekend. On an off-topic note, I did learn something new yesterday; Whiscombe Honey! I know the recipe has been around a while, but I only learned of it yesterday. So what does this have to do with a .177 cal Marauder... well, on that I am going to see how well pellets lubed in this stuff shoot out of my Lothar Walther barrel once it arrives...

Anyway, if you are interested in knowing more, here is where I first learned of it: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/02/ ... e-pellets/

Question: For those that have resealed their Marauders, how did you keep from shaving your o-rings on the sharp machined edges? Particularly the gauge hole. I have resealed one other Marauder, and no matter what I tried, I always shaved a little off the rings of the valve and gauge block. I know that Archer Airguns sells this tool for the reseal:

http://www.archerairguns.com/Gauge-Port ... ertool.htm

The tool helps to ease the o-rings past the gauge hole, but I'm not sure I want to shill out $15 for it... Ideas?
DRAGON64

Postby DRAGON64 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Re-sealed the Gen1 tonight. Gotta love these Marauders, they are so easy to work. To keep from shearing the new o-rings on the install, I just stuck my finger in the hole... pretty easy fix.

Anyway, looking to get my old scuba tank hydro'd and filled so I can get to tuning. The only two mods added right now are the BStaley #211 o-rings, and the RAW trigger blade. I have a Lothar Walther barrel coming, but it is another week or two out. All the tuning will done with the factory barrel. When I bought the rifle, it came with two stocks; both are factory, but the owner painted one of the stocks with bedliner spray, added meat to the grip area, and added an adjustable shoulder piece. I'll use this stock for initial tuning... I like the feel of the "fatty" grip area...

DRAGON64

Postby jlc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:30 am

Glad to see some one else with a GEN 1 177, made in USA on both the 177 and 22.

I bought mine in early 2010 and then because it was so accurate, i bought the 22 a few months later.

I have never tuned the 177, i am shooting the JSB 8's at 958 to 905. 20 shoots from 2400 psi fill.

20 shoots at that fps is fine for me, gives me a chance to rest my eyes and do it again.

What is Re seal?, new o rings?
jlc

Postby DRAGON64 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:03 pm

jlc wrote:Glad to see some one else with a GEN 1 177, made in USA on both the 177 and 22.

I bought mine in early 2010 and then because it was so accurate, i bought the 22 a few months later.

I have never tuned the 177, i am shooting the JSB 8's at 958 to 905. 20 shoots from 2400 psi fill.

20 shoots at that fps is fine for me, gives me a chance to rest my eyes and do it again.

What is Re seal?, new o rings?

I'm a Gen 1 "fanboy" for sure, and to get one of the older models was a nice surprise. As for re-sealing and o-rings; I completely disassembled the rifle and replaced all of the o-ring seals in the rifle. Since the rifle is 7-years old, I felt that fresh o-rings might save me from a disaster should the rifle start leaking air. I have the rifle charged to 2500 psi right now, and she is holding strong.
DRAGON64

Return to .177 Cal Marauders